Search This Blog

Monday 26 September 2011

Rare and Precious. Hmmmm

“Growing into your future with health and grace and beauty doesn’t have to take all your time. It rather requires a dedication to caring for yourself as if you were rare and precious, which you are, and regarding all life around you as equally so, which it is.”

— Victoria Moran

I had an interesting conversation this morning with a close friend regarding commitment to truth. In Yoga this is the cultivation of Satya (Truthfulness)which is really the fine art of being real vs. being "nice". We were reflecting on relationships; with lovers, with friends, with family. And discussing what it takes for them to truly be successful. My girlfriend and I both share a similar commitment to being real. To being honest. And, although that has been called "harsh" at times, I maintain my faith in the necessity of being able to occasionally call people on their drama- especially when it is hurtful towards me, or someone I love, or affects my life in a negative way. My closest friends also do the same for me. Which I deeply appreciate. Because I know when a close friend says "Jones, get it together. Wtf are you on about now?!" it's probably because I've allowed my little stories to, once again, take over and cloud my perception of what is real and truly happening in the present moment. Whatever. We ALL do it.

I always give people second chances. Always. Because I know we all make mistakes and I know that as human beings we are all floundering at times, trying the best we can with what we know. But, when you give someone a second chance and they continue to hurt you, the problem now becomes yours. It's no longer about that other person. We are never really "victims" because we are always making choices. Think about it. It is us, ourselves, who are literally constructing every moment of our lives based on those choices. And at the end of the day, we all have to have a commitment to ourselves and our own well being. To truly be happy I believe we need to be our own best friends. To deeply care for and honor this body, this life, this person that we have become. I notice as I care more for myself and make my own well being a priority, the more I seem to be surrounded by people who reflect that back to me and the more supported I seem to feel.

Interesting how that works....

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, as is Heather's post for 30th September! Thank you both for your wisdom...

    ReplyDelete